Wednesday 31 July 2013

Prom Post 2013


I thought it might be nice if I shared my Prom outfit, makeup and accessories with you so I can keep it as a memory of the evening as well as giving you ideas if you've got a prom coming up in the future!

My dress was a simple maxi with a lovely chiffon overlay and a split down the front (not as weird as it sounds). What first drew me to the dress, which is made by the brand Love from Asos (links to the dress below) was the gorgeous deep purple colour which faded into a lighter purple and eventually a white.



The print is quite unusual and it was such a lovely colour I thought I would give it a go and brought it in the sale for £28 (originally £48). When it arrived, I fell in love with it as it looks so much nicer in the flesh.

When it came to choosing the shoes, I knew that I didn't want to got too high as I'm not a huge heel fan, but when going into my local Office shoe shop I noticed this gorgeous pair of court heels in nearly the exact same berry colour as my dress (link to shoes below). They were £50 (£45 with student discount), and I knew that I would wear them again and again, as they looked lovely with the black jeans I was wearing at the time. Bonus!
The heels also come in black, but as you can see from the image below the berry colour finished the dress off perfectly.


 The heel is just over 3 inches (8.5cm) so were much more realisitic for me to wear than 5 or 6 inch heels, and it meant my dress didn't touch the floor so it made walking around much easier. The only downside I can give is that as they are suede they can scratch quite easily, but that isn't something that bothers me too much, and certainly didn't put me off buying them!


 
Once I had both the dress and shoes I could decide on my accessories. I chose my trusty small bronze-gold clutch from the brand Pieces and a bangle which I pushed up my arm to just below my elbow. I then raided my sister's nail varnish collection and found Nails Inc's Wilton Row, again another pretty much identical berry colour (there's a theme going on as you can see) and everything started to come together. I didn't realise how much preparation was needed for just one evening's outfit!



 


My sister offered to do my makeup for me on the day, and she tested it out a few days before, making sure everything would match. Below is the makeup that was used for my Prom.
 
 
My sister eventually decided to use the colour 'Half Baked' on the eyes, which is from the Urban Decay 'Naked 2' Palette (£36 from Debenhams), which is a beautiful slightly shimmery gold, which matched my clutch and is lovely for a special occasion. 






For a primer we used the obvious choice which is again Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion (£15 from Debenhams), which made my eye makeup stay-put the whole night.

 
To line the eyes, Clinique's Brush-On Cream Liner in 02 True Black (£16 from Boots) was the gel liner of choice and it finished off the eyes just the way I had hoped.



For my foundation, I wanted something that would cover up redness and blemishes but not give me the worry of having my face melt off as it was so hot, so I borrowed my sister's Clinique Even Better Makeup in the Shade 01 Alabaster (£24 from Debenhams). This foundation covered any blemishes that I had and made my skin look even and clear, but didn't make it look too matte, which was exactly what I wanted!


For the blusher, I used my all time favourite Sleek Blush in Rose Gold (£4.49 from Superdrug), which is affordable and so pigmented. I love the way it catches the light (from the side it looks gold and from the front pink - I suppose that's where the name comes from!) and I have had so many positive comments on it.
 



For lip colour, I finally chose MAC Frost Viva Glam IV (£15 from Debenhams) which worked so well with the colour of the dress.
 
 
 
My completed look is shown in the image below. I was so happy with how it turned out and I had an amazing night. I hope I've given some of you outfit and make-up ideas for a special occasion coming up in your calender!

 
 
 
 
Love
Sarah

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you that's so sweet! Love your blog!

      Sarah x

      Delete
  2. You looked gorgeous! those shoes are lovely so classy and versatile because they're not too high!
    Also love the maroonish theme going on ^_^
    The Blushing Giraffe| The Blog Loving
    xxx

    ReplyDelete